Thursday 19 May 2011

Juggling around my pans a little...

I heard the verdict back from Mills & Boon today on the partial sub (one chapter & synopsis)  I had in with them - it's a no go, unfortunately. At thirty weeks it's been a killer of a wait, but I very much appreciate the fact that they took the time to give me some detailed feedback and ideas of how to improve it. I'm going to take some time to mull it all over. Rejections need a little time to settle in, don't they? This one somehow feels less of a blow than the last, which hopefully means I'm developing that thick skin we're told we need. From here on in, you have my permission to call me rhino-girl.

They also advised me to send any future submissions via slush, so it feels sort of like the end of that particular leg of my writing journey. It started when I entered the 2009 writing comp and was lucky enough to place, and it's been an up and down ride since.
I've learned so much from working with a lovely editor, i've met some terrific friends, and I hope i've grown as a writer.

My grand plan ( you have to have a plan, and it's gotta be grand, right?) is to take some time out from targeting series romance and continue writing the single title i'm working on at the moment.  It's my first attempt and I have no clue what i'm doing, but I'm having a fabulous time doing it.
So, i'm going to rearrange my metaphorical pans around a little on the cooker. I'm pulling my ST pan to the front and turning it up to a vigorous boil, and winding my beloved series romance pan down to a simmer on the back ring. Please don't let any of my gasses blow out!
Why, when I type that, do I feel like the new kid on the playground again? It's like playing dress up, trying on different outfits to see which one is the best fit. Trouble is, I really kinda loved my feather boa and I feel like someone's told me to put it back in the box.
Not that any of it's a game, I realise. It's all bloody hard work, whether series or single title.

These last couple of years have taught me one big, huge, amazing thing though. I truly, truly love writing. It makes me happy, it makes me laugh, it makes me cry, and I want to do it forever.

8 comments:

  1. Big hugs, Joanne! I totally know how you feel. But fantastic attitude, lady. You totally rock and so does your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Commiserations on your R but HUGE congratulations on your fabulous attitude. I've been exactly where you are - Highs of M&B contest final to Lows of being bade back to the slush pile. It SUCKS. But there is life outside of M&B and I wish you well in your ST endevours. I for one am a HUGE fan of your writing. You are too good not to be published so I know I'll be reading your gorgeous books one day.
    x
    Rach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do have a fabulous attitude rhino girl! You're an inspiration =) All you have to do is love it and you'll get there in the end and you'll have one heck of a call story to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ms A, thank you. xx

    Rach, I so hope so! I know you get how I feel, and it's fab to be able to see your success now. xx

    Howdie lovely Lacey, thank you. I do love it, I really do. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joanne
    So sorry to hear your being sent back to slush - that seems to be the way of it lately, but look at the good company you will be in.
    Would love to hear more about your single title - do tell!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey chick, good to see you! Thanks, I'm feeling OK about it, it wasn't unexpected.
    My ST - I don't think I'm brave enough yet to say! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jo,

    your attitude and your love of writing will pull you through. I love that the series pan will still be simmering away at the back, even as you concentrate on your ST. Please enjoy some cyber chocolate. You've definitely earned it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hiya Robyn, thanks for stopping by, it's very lovely to hear from you. I think I might have actually eaten my own weight in chocolate now, so am all fixed up again thank you. xx

    ReplyDelete